Wednesday

High Tech High

I first came across Larry Rostenstock via a video on the mobilelearninginstitute site. I'd actually recommend a view of all of the videos. There are some powerful visions and passionate arguments for learning presented. I've shared a number of them at Staff Meetings. As a staff, we've discussed the videos and, as a natural development from that, our own aspirations for pupils, practice, philosophy, ethos, values and beliefs... which are the most powerful drivers for any school.

The High Tech High film was probably the one that resonated for me most. I liked Larry's no-nonsense view of education. Like most good leaders, I think, he realises the power in keeping the message simple.

I saw lucky enough to hear Larry speak at the Innovation in Education event in London, Nov '09. Again, the message was simple. Larry started by saying (apologies to Larry, I'm paraphrasing here) that success at High Tech High is a non-negotiable. Students are there, so succeed is what they do. Students who are at risk of failing... simply aren't allowed to.

He went on to talk about learning. Again, simple common sense. Warwick Mansell's coverage of the event gives a flavour of the message.

The High Tech High website is certainly worth a look. On there are some examples of the books, produced by students, that are for sale on Amazon.
Also take a look at some of the videos of practice that are hosted on the site.

No comments:

Post a Comment